The following terms and conditions of service are in addition to the oath and any application you may
have filed in conjunction with enlistment or appointment in the Maryland Defense Force
(1) Your voluntary membership is for an indefinite period. You may be voluntarily separated on an
honorable basis, at any time, with or without cause. After an initial term of enlistment or appointment,
you have the right to resign upon not less than 30 days prior notice to the date of separation.
However, if any unit of the Maryland Defense Force has been called into state active duty, enlistments
and appointments are extended, the right to resign is postponed until 30 days after the last Maryland Defense Force unit has been relieved from state active duty.
(2) Active members are expected to perform training level duty and to serve on state active duty. An
active member may, upon not less the 30 days notice, exercise their right to be reassigned to Minute
(3) Minute Men agree to serve when called upon or ordered into state active duty. They may be
ordered to attend an annual muster, but are not otherwise required to attend training, unless a call to
state active duty is imminent. A Minute Man is to be included in the alert plan of the unit, and his
current address and other relevant information will be furnished as directed.
(4) Upon proper authority, an active member may be reassigned to Minute Man status at any time. A
Minute Man, with his consent - kredit, may be reassigned to active status.
(5) You may be called into state active duty by order of the Governor. Upon notice, you are to report,
as directed by the order or alert plan, to your unit and remain in service until relieved by proper
(6) Pursuant to Article 65, Annotated Code of Maryland, you are subject to military law while in
performance of duty or when ordered to state active duty by proper authority. Members are subject to
court martial for failure to report for duty and for other military offenses. You are in a military status
while on state active duty, whether paid or unpaid, and while going to or returning from any place of
(7) Even though discharged, you remain subject to court martial for military offenses committed priorto discharge. Your responsibility for property continues until all property accounts are settled.
(8) Physical fitness is by self certification. Any limitations or restrictions regarding your fitness must
be noted on your application or enlistment form. Any future restrictions must be reported to your unit
(9) You are not, by appointment or enlistment in the Maryland Defense Force, exempt or excused from
call or order, as an individual, to the service of the United States under the Selected Service Act or as
a member of the federal reserve components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast
Guard. Unless, pursuant to an Act of Congress, your Defense Force unit is called to Federal active
duty, or unless some other provision is hereafter enacted, you are not considered in the military
service of the United States and have no entitlement to federal benefits on account of service with, or
membership in the Maryland Defense Force.
In Partnership with: